Thursday, September 17, 2009

I want to be when I grow up!

I recently stumbled across an article from Rolling Stone Magazine examining the lives of masked adventurers who roam cities fighting crime. (The story can be found here.) The article resonates well, since I have always wanted to be a superhero when I grow up. Now, I have no idea how I am going to realize this goal, but that small fact does not stop me from dreaming about it.

I don't really know that everyone had the same dream as I do, but I know we all had some career path that we believed would be fantastic. What happened to those dreams?

It needs to be noted, I don't want to project a Office Space story. Sure, we all do not have glamorous jobs saving citizens, but most jobs don't seem to be miserable wastes of existence. However, it does seem that our jobs consume our lives. Maybe right now I am not a superhero, but I can still change individuals' lives through acts of kindness after work.

Regardless, I am determined, and encourage others as well, to remember what they want to be when they grow up, and find a way to infuse it into their life. Whether it be a hobby, volunteering, or a second weekend gig, reviving our dreams from nostalgia could bring some extra joy into our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Oh hey. you should update your blog :)

    mine is engineeringsocialite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update. This. Blog.
    It is not a blog right now, it is sad and abandoned!

    ReplyDelete